Thursday, November 1, 2012

Fall Fun at the Queens County Farm

 
This past weekend I planned on taking Andre to do pumpkin picking. I didn't want to travel too far because I didn't know when Hurricane Sandy would show her face. Last year on a school trip we went to the Queens County Farm and we really enjoyed it there. I found out there annual Fall Festival was on Sunday so it made a perfect day trip for us. My mom came along with us for the trip and to hang out with her fave little man.
I was surprised that there wasn't any admission fee which was great. We found parking down a residential block across the street. The weather wasn't perfect and Sandy was looming about, but it made for a perfect fall day. We went to visit the animals & even bought some food to feed. Andre said one of the goats nipped at his finger & was so dramatic about it. My thinking is if there's no blood you're good to go! So keep on moving. LOL Was that cruel to say? He loved feeding the animals except when the cow licked his entire palm. I thought it was pretty hysterical.



There weren't too many pumpkins to choose from. Most were a bit bruised and broken but we were able to find a nice $10 one. Of course Andre needed a break from all the searching.

I think the best part of the day was when Andre got a pony ride. I was thinking about it and it was his first one! He's ridden on the carousel but never a real live pony. I have to mark it in the memory book!
Queens County Farm is open year round. It is owned by the New York City Parks & Recreation Department. Their fresh grown produce is sold at the Union Square Green market. They are located in Floral Park, which is a quick 30 minute car ride from the city. Its a fun day trip to take the kids. They also have an amazing corn maze but with Andre I knew he would freak out by 5 minutes if we couldn't find our way out. So I plan on doing that with him when he's a bit older.
Check out the website for their daily schedule & directions.

Disclosure: I was not compensated for this post. It is all 100% my own opinion.




Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment