Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Memorial Weekend in Portland,Maine

What I absolutely love about holiday weekends are the road trips my boyz & I decide to go on. We usually head down to Philly or up to Boston, but this year I decided we needed to venture to somewhere new. I've heard such wonderful things about Maine so I packed us up & we headed to Portland, Maine voted Best Food Town in America!
We had a great drive up. Our son was well behaved but anxious after an hour into the trip. Of course the redundant question of "Are we there yet?" was interfaced with him counting down the 5 hour trip every second. I nearly had a conniption after the 1st hour. We arrived safely & stayed at the Fairfield Inn Maine Mall. They were super courteous and attentive. Our room was clean & the outdoor pool was refreshing. I would definitely stay there again.
Of course our visit to Maine wouldn't be complete without a visit to Portland Lobster Company. My son is a HUGE lobster fan so he shared one with my husband while I devoured a lobster roll. I have to say the lobster did taste very fresh. They have a lobster shaped beeper as you wait for a table which we thought was the cutest!



 No visit is complete without seeing a lighthouse in Maine. We ventured to the Fort Williams Park, most famous for Portland Head Light. Its Maine's most popular tourist attraction. It was a breath taking view of the coast.




My family & I had a great time. We extended our trip by a day because we were so relaxed, something both my husband & I needed. Our son did get sick with a severe stomach virus which ended to a trip to the ER while out there & when we got back home. Thankfully, he's 100% better now but it was a frightening experience.
If you are planning any road trips this year I would suggest checking out Portland. Besides lobster, we also went to El Rayo Taqueria, which is owned by the same people from Lobster Co. They had delicious Mexican food and a great vibe at their venue. We are definitely going to head back to Maine but next time we're going to head further up to Freeport. I want to check out whale watching and try a lobster boat tour.

Disclosure: I was not compensated for this post. All opinions expressed are my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment